Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bless you!

It's true.
that we, and me, and you
have got some problems
we've got some issues
but I am all run out of tissues.

So listen up,
and listen close.
Cause I'm all through with chasing ghosts
because they seem to slip right through my nets
(and the ghost busters haven't
called me back yet.)

So for now
I'll resort
to what I know:
the clouds and the trees show me how the wind blows
and the Father's love
it manifests
in beating hearts
in human chests

But we're too scared,
and we're too frightened!
He loved us first,
but we've forgotten.
and substitute
for something safer
cause His liability won't add up on paper.

(but) After all those meaningless
"Gdblesyoo"s
we're still sniffling
and we're still oozing
but it's completely of our choosing.

Jesus took a walk in all of our shoes
but we're too busy
counting our bruis-
is this very wise?
for people in our position
to choose their own pride
over the Great Physician?

To win in this life,
you've got to try and lose
Jesus understands all your "boo"s and "hoo"s
....but I don't
so don't look to me for pity
when we could change this town
and we could thaw this city
but still, indecision is the choice you choose
So I am all run out of tissues.

4 comments:

  1. Your poems are meaningful and make me think, but with little bits that make me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile! I love the analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem has all sorts of irony that I'm sure you didn't notice yourself. Like for instance, you said that by everyone believing in Jesus that the city could be "thawed", insinuating that non-Christians are cold. But your statement just before that was cold in and of itself. "Jesus understands all of your boos and hoos, but I don't."

    I thought that from the first two stanzas this had some potential. Then the third stanza came with an extreme dogmatism in a very direct manner. It went from slightly witty and enchanting to preaching personal belief in a matter of fact, disdainful fashion.

    You said you can't understand other people's problems or put yourself in their shoes. That you've run out of the proverbial "tissues" to give to them. Where have the humanists gone?

    I believe as human beings we shouldn't leave relating, sympathy, empathy up to an imaginary being. I've heard so many Christians say things like, "I can't possibly give you any words of comfort. All you can do is pray." This is bull crap to me. Any given person can relate to another person and give them words of comfort. Two words, "empathy and sympathy" even Christians are suppose to have them.

    Sure, meditating lays things out in one's mind. But God doesn't literally talk back to a person. If he does, go ahead and tape it and send me a copy. Having a conversation with another human being who displays empathy and sympathy gives a person hope. I'm done, I can't really look at this anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness. I'm afraid you've misunderstood the intended audience! The intended audience was Christians who claim to follow Jesus but instead simply dabble back and forth and complain about their own problems instead of helping people and defending the weak.... instead of being like Jesus at all.

    This was toward a luke-warm audience, including myself at times, and anyone else who claims Christ and then uses him as a mascot instead of putting aside their own problems and putting their money where there mouth is, and actually doing something about carrying the weight of their neighbors instead of mulling over their own issues all the time.

    If this poem _was_ directed at non-Christians, I'm sure you would be right in calling the it disdainful.

    But, basically this was poem saying "Look outside yourself, you who claim Christ, and start acting like him,... instead of being too afraid to take your calling seriously."

    So my response of "Jesus understands all your boo's and hoo's ....but I don't." is expressing Jesus' patience, but my impatience to see them get up and do and stop letting tiny problems become bigger than their God, and bigger than their source of joy.

    ReplyDelete