Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Discrete Ways We Measure the Continuous, Part 1: Jenga Towers and Rationalizing Wonderland

        I mentioned in my last post about this being my busiest summer to date; this, in turn, has also made it one of the most thought-provoking.  Along with working as orientation staff for Ball State and my internship as assistant to literary agent Amanda Luedeke, two dear friends of mine asked me to be in their weddings this past June.  This kicked off the start of summer with quite a bang, considering that their weddings happened to occur in the same weekend.  Nonetheless, both celebrations went marvelously well, and I somehow managed to go from wearing one bridesmaid dress in Indiana at 12 am to the next bridesmaid dress in Illinois ten hours later, while still able to maintain sanity (and even enjoy the honor immensely).  Needless to say, this experience led me to ponder the idea of matrimony, more deeply and intimately than I had ever done in the past.

        A good friend of mine and I have often argued about the tradition of marriage, and whether it is a necessary or even useful external display of an internal commitment to another person.  After all, beyond tax-discounts, what use is there in spending thousands of dollars to get "married," when one ought to have this level of commitment without any piece of paper or formal title declaring it to anyone beyond the two involved?  While it may seem that this is an overly scientific and utilitarian way to look at marital union, in my experience an objective approach to a cultural norm often gets to the heart of the matter: finding what is truly fundamental to a certain idea by poking and prodding away at what is simply associated with it. I call this Jenga-blocking.


Objectivity is not an opposing force to sentimentality, but rather is an investigative eye towards discovering the true foundations of what we treasure as humans.  Rational thought is a tool which may serve us well, as long as we do not allow ourselves to become a servant to it, instead.  (That can lead us to some pretty silly conclusions, like eliminating world hunger through cannibalism, cooking up the hungriest people in order to feed the hungry people.  A brain working without a heart can be pretty stupid.)  With an objective eye wielded correctly, however, we can see well enough to prod at the structure of an idea, step-by-step separating what is associated with a cultural norm from what is truly fundamental to it.

        Along the way of thinking about marriage, I began to investigate relationships, dating, and that strange "in-between" phase that no one quite knows what to do with.  I was under the impression that I had never been in a relationship before, until another friend pointed out to me that most of the labels we assign to a particular person we interact with doesn't actually define our relationship to that person.
        "Every relationship of any sort is continuous," he said, using a mathematical term for a line which has no gaps or sharp steps.  A slide is continuous, an elevator is continuous; a staircase is not, because you must take separate (discrete) steps.
        "Except for marriage, there is no title or label that has any inherent meaning, more than what we pretend to attribute to it.  Marriage is the only discrete step that really counts for anything."
        From this perspective, maybe I've been in multiple relationships and only failed to recognize or label them.  I began to ask myself, what is it about marriage that makes it so different, so distinct from any other relationship?  What is it about the act of marriage, the promise made publicly, that is so important?  No single physical, emotional, or intellectual element seemed to point to the true foundation of what makes a couple "married" to one another, beyond the public statement itself.  For every thing I could think of that might be thought of as the true core of what makes a couple "married," I could think of examples of married couples who did not have that element and yet were still considered to be married.  Yet, when I have asked people who are married what marriage is, they are not able to explain it.  (This, of course, does not bother them.  They can go on being married without knowing what that means just fine, the same way I am ignorant of how this laptop works, but that does not prevent me from continuing to use it, and considering it a marvelous invention.)

        From there, like Alice, I've tunneled even further down the rabbit-hole, and as I sift through all of the information I've accrued from the last year, with the constant trickle of more, I begin to wonder why we have such a need for definitions and distinctions for the abstract and undefinable.  We use words like measuring sticks, but the non-Euclidean reality we experience never seems to match up -- this is an inequality writers know all too well.  The best we can do is design our measuring sticks, our words, according to the thing we are attempting to measure: we make metaphors, those longitudes and latitudes we use to draw parallels that converge.


        I'm slowly discovering that the desire to measure is the desire to communicate, but will wait to elaborate on that for an upcoming post.  Feel free to comment your thoughts in the meantime, and stay tuned for "Part 2: Commas, Marriage, and Ear-marked pages."

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I especially like the marriage of objectivity and sentimentality - two attitudes so often put at odds for no particularly good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob!

      I agree - reason and feeling need each other, and each without the other is a one-eyed man with no depth-perception, functioning poorly at best, and destructively at worst.

      Delete
  2. I just went to a wedding last night, and had to reread this.

    I agree completely with the sentiment that marriage might not be necessary in any way at all. If two people really want to spend the rest of their lives together, there's nothing stopping them. They don't need a government license or permission from a priest to do that. It can be especially hard to see the need for the institution after seeing modern divorce rates. Anymore, a marriage in America is more of a legal nightmare and social obligation than a commitment of love. I really wish there wasn't so much social pressure to get married. Every time I'm around my family, someone inevitably asks me if I'm seeing anyone or if I'm getting married any time soon (something I'm sure is really common for people our age). I mean, what if I never get married? Why does it matter to anyone else?

    That being said, marriage can be an absolutely beautiful thing. Even if it's not "necessary," that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. I've read a few articles saying that monogamy might not even be human nature, that it may just be a social construction. Marriage used to be more of an owner and property relationship than a partnership (and, sadly, many people still see it like this). But I think the fact that monogamy might go against nature just makes it that much more beautiful. Part of what makes us human is our ability and desire to transcend nature: we want to build large and visually stunning structures just so we can look at them, we want to put ourselves in giant metal boxes and catapult ourselves into the stars just so we can learn about them.

    Marriage can be an awful thing. Some people use it to control their spouses, to keep them in line and in the home. A lot of people let their lives stagnate once they get married because they feel that marriage is the end, the thing they've been living towards. But I think it can be one of the most profoundly beautiful gestures that humans practice.

    One line from this really caught my attention: "No single physical, emotional, or intellectual element seemed to point to the true foundation of what makes a couple "married" to one another, beyond the public statement itself." I think the public statement is part of what makes marriage so incredible. To stand up and tell the world "This is who I love. This is who I want to love for the rest of my life. And I am so proud of this love that I want all of you to know it." Is that egotistical? Absolutely. But I don't think that makes it any less great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the public statement unto itself is substantial. In the same way that a word unto itself has an affect on how we perceive the idea/object that word is meant to signify, a marriage ceremony inherently alters the nature/perception of the marriage itself.

      Likewise, the act of measuring itself changes the thing you are measuring (a nerdy science fact that I elaborate on in a previous blog post that I'll link below), which goes along with what I hope to go into next, of why I see marriage as a measurement, and why measurements matter to us.

      Until then, something to consider: You said if two people really want to spend the rest of their lives together, there's nothing stopping them. I would venture to question the opposite... if two people really want to spend the rest of their lives together, is there anyone/thing who can help them actually manage to accomplish that? I think there's a reason we invite the people who helped us become who we are to our wedding: we need all the help we can get to follow through on our promise to this other person, pledging faithfulness to stay a course we do not even remotely know (see previous blog post on what academics and marriage have in common. dang. are all of these connected??).

      http://ifwordsarecameras--holdstill.blogspot.com/2013/05/schrodingers-pen-quantum-life-writers.html

      Delete
    2. Mmm, double slit experiment.

      Marriage is absolutely a form of measurement, just another tick mark a little closer to the end of our ruler. The problem isn't in that, but that people have grown to see it as *just* that. But getting married to get to that next mark is like buying a long two-by-four just to show off your sweet piece of lumber. But then you realize it's not quite right for the deck you had in mind, so then you have to cut it up to try and make it fit, and then you just end up with a big mess.

      And I'll definitely agree that a public statement of a relationship (romantic or otherwise) alters it in some way. It's inevitable. When we know that someone is aware of something, we begin taking their thoughts into consideration. What will my friends think? What will my parents do if I fail to follow through on this commitment? We often don't realize that we're doing it, why we're making the decisions we make. It just happens, completely internalized into our process of reason.

      And I'll agree to a point: friends and family are definitely very important to a marriage. But no more than they are to any other facet of life. We need the help of others constantly, be it through relationship advice, financial help, or even just kind hearted company. It's not that we need their support for a marriage, but just that we need their support.

      But I've always had a similar sentiment towards getting married. A wedding isn't just a promise or a commitment. It's a celebration. All of these people come together to celebrate being happy. To me, a marriage has always seemed like a gesture from the married to the guests, a chance to share the happiness that they helped you arrive at. A thank you.

      Delete
  3. I'm on the fence with Brent (we just can't decide whether or not to get married!) just kidding, but in all seriousness, you may consider me "anti-marriage" simply because I have rarely seen it actually work well. Other than my own parents, there aren't a lot of close friends or relatives that have successful marriages between their parents, in fact, most of them are children of divorce. And it seems, though I don't actively follow any statistics, that divorce is happening more these days, and as a counter I'd like to draw a connection between another ideal, which is communism. In its root the idea of communism seems relatively nice for everyone, as everyone cares and shares just like we were taught in kindergarten, the problem is that most of the time it doesn't work because of the people involved, governments become greedy or abusive, and it becomes more of a tug of rope than it does a government/relationship. In its root communism and marriage both depend on the people involved to actually make it work.

    I suppose my stance is that the need to communicate a relationship to the public, to declare something as intimate as a serious relationship is completely unnecessary and a social form that would be better abandoned. And because we're told that in relationships with people there are "steps" or "bases" or even "3rd date rules" I think people rush into marriage simply because it is the next step, because it's what you do next. So much of what we are taught is based on a stepping stone idea and I've yet to find anything I've experienced that actually feels like that. Relationships with people, even non-romantic, are organic and fluid and entirely interpersonal, and their declaration should not be a factor in defining their importance.

    ReplyDelete